5.12.2013

Clean blueberry muffins

A beautiful Sunday morning, my husband is outside working in the yard, the screen doors are open and I can hear the birds chirping!  I was just starting to think about breakfast and if I should try the new turkey bacon I picked up or make these muffins.......the turkey bacon was frozen and I had all the necessary ingredients for this recipe - so muffins it is! I am always on the look out for easy nutritious breakfast ideas,  something that I can grab and go. Shakes are great, but sometimes I want to eat something; so when my girlfriend shared this clean recipe I knew it wouldn't be long before I made them! 

So here is what you need:

Dry
1 cup flour ( I used a gluten free blend with 1tsp of xathan gum)
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup flax (ground)
1/2 tsp b. soda
1/2 tsp b. powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg

Wet
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup oil
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
2 cups blueberries


Mix dry ingredients together. Make a well and add the wet ingredients (less the blueberries). Mix by folding with wooden spoon. Add blueberries.






 Fill greased muffin tins 1/2 to 3/4 full. 





Bake 350 for 15 minutes OR Convection Bake 325 for 15 minutes.



 So these are fabulous! They passed the husband test with flying colors.....and he had no idea how healthy they are! I ended up making another batch and instead of blueberries I used raisins - they turned out great too! You can use nuts, cranberries or chocolate chips too and I think that I will experiment a little with recipe.... apple sauce or banana instead of the oil....and maybe just the egg whites, but even if I don't it is already a healthy, high fiber muffin.


No comments:

Post a Comment