9.23.2012

mmmm homemade soup!



I love a good homemade soup, so comforting. I have made some great soups and some not so great soups...although I have to say it is really really hard not to make at least a fairly good soup. 

The days are getting shorter, the nights are getting cooler and the trees are getting thinner. Perfect time to get some soup simmering on the old stove! 

Butternut Squash it is! This is a recipe I have made a couple of times, it is super easy and a nice change from the chicken and hamburger soups I always make. Here is what I did.

Grab a container of homemade chicken stock from the freezer

Slice the squash in half length wise. 


Scoop out the guts, place face down on a pan and place in the oven. My oven was 350 with the convection fan on and I had it in there for about an hour.


While that is roasting, chop up an onion and some garlic, sautee in olive oil. 




Remove the squash from the oven and let cool. When it has reached room temperature (or if you are impatient like me use an oven mitt) scoop out the squash and place in blender.  



Add the chicken stock and onion to blender and puree. Pour the soup into your soup pot and simmer. Add water if needed. Also I alternate between curry and nutmeg. My husband likes neither - he likes it with just the garlic and onion.......so maybe if he is good, one day I will skip the nutmeg or curry.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment