7.07.2013

peroggies


I love peroggies!!! Two years ago when I realized my gluten issues one of the first things that came to mind was "how will I live without peroggies?" It was bad enough that I hadn't ever made them in the first place but now I wasn't even going to be able to use my family recipe - I was going to have to find a gluten free recipe. So I went on a mission to track down a great recipe......there have been some very bad ones along the way but finally I have found one! These are very "normal" in texture as well as taste which is something that can be hard to create.


Dough:
1 cup tapioca starch (or flour)
1 cup sweet sorghum  flour
1/2 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1tbsp xanthan gum
3 egg whites
1cup lactose free milk





 Filling:
potatoes peeled, boiled and mashed. (russet potatoes are the best for this)
cheese, old sharp cheddar

 


The process:
Make the dough ahead of time and refrigerate at least 20 minutes. When you are ready to roll the dough out, use a lightly oiled surface. Roll dough out to a 1/2" thickness and cut with a cup (or a round cookie cutter) 





Take a small amount of your potato and cheese mixture and form into a ball. Place the ball in the center of the dough.





Fold and pinch! Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.....lol

 

Now this is where you can go one of two ways, you can cook them or straight freeze them.....I like to boil them, let them cool and then package them and freeze. This way they are ready to go when I want them. 



I  re-heat with butter and onion either in a frying pan or in the oven and serve with a dollop of Greek Yogurt. 







No comments:

Post a Comment